Chicken Penne Pasta


July 28, 2011

Chicken Penne Pasta
I've made this dish so many times over the years that I could probably do it in my sleep. I've added and subtracted vegetables, added this and that, but here's the bare bones of the recipe. I usually use penne pasta, but I didn't have enough for two, so I subbed in spinach fettuccine because that was what was in my cupboard already. The fettuccine added a nice texture and flavor; I would probably use it again. 



Ingredients: 

  • Chicken breast 
  • Penne Pasta (or whatever really) 
  • One whole green pepper (sliced)
  • Mushrooms (quartered) 
  • Onions (sliced) 
  • Garlic clove chopped
  • One can of Cream of mushroom soup (low fat)
  • One can of Chicken broth (reduced salt)
  • Salt and pepper for seasoning
  • Parmesan cheese 


Directions: 

  • Boil water for pasta; cook to directions
  • Heat oil in skillet, and season chicken with salt and pepper prior to tossing in the pan. Brown chicken, adding a little bit of chicken stock for flavor (I find this also helps to prevent the chicken from drying out. Ew). 
  • Hopefully your water has boiled and you can start cooking your pasta. 
  • Once the chicken has fully browned on the outside add in the mushrooms, onions, and garlic. The mushrooms will absorb a lot of the liquid from the stock (you want this to happen). Once the onions and mushrooms have cooked about half way, add in the green pepper. 
  • When the peppers get a little soft add the mushroom soup from the can, and add the broth to thin to preferred consistency. If you like your pasta saucey add more broth, if you like it thicker add less and increase heat. Do not add milk. Combine the sauce into the frying pan mixture, tossing the chicken vegetables and sauce; adding in salt and pepper as needed, and parmesan cheese. 
  • If your noodles are done before your sauce, don't panic! just drain the water and add the noodles back to the pot and add olive oil and cover until you're ready. 
  • Once your sauce is at preferred consistency pour the sauce mixture into your noodles and toss together. 
  • Top with parm cheese and serve with a salad.
  • This dish goes well with a Greek salad, but then again what doesn't? 
Here I served toasted baguette, tomato wedges sprinkled with spicy pepper medley, with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping. 


On a scale? 
-super yum!

Sincerely,
sp

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/28/2011

    Italian is one of my favourite foods, and this dish looks yummy!

    www.styleonthecouch.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and it's SO good the next day as leftovers. I don't know what that refrigerator does in there, but man oh man it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7/29/2011

    I'm going to make this tomorrow night for supper as I had no idea what to do with this chicken breast in the fridge!!!! Thanks for the recipe!

    Ps, I'm so happy that you use spicy pepper medley in like, EVERY meal. I do too, and it's only because you introduced me to it. The hubby can't get ENOUGH of that spice!

    ReplyDelete