Fibre Smoothie Recipe


June 30, 2011


You will NEVER guess what fibre infused ingredients are lurking in this delicious smoothie. This is a recipe for anyone who's looking to get a little assistance in the digestion factory, or anyone who's recently traveled, or anyone who's come to loathe a particular week of the month. This smoothie is a fibre power house and it'll get everyone moving; including your metabolism. 



I love smoothies and I'm going to tell you why. Because they are such an easy way to meet your fruit and vegetable intake. Because you can put things like prune juice in them and not even taste it. Because you can have all the ingredients on hand at any given time because anything goes. Because you can get your protein, you fibre, and your fruit and vegetables all in one shot AND it still tastes delicious. Because they are so easy to make I could do it in my sleep. Because it's cheap if you make them at home yourself. And lastly because I get to use my magic bullet which I love so much (thanks mom). 


Interesting fact: 
I should also point out that I watched a documentary about weight loss that discussed how eating blended soups fills your stomach, and actually keeps fuller longer. Even if you eat the same meal unblended, so same amount of calories exactly, eating the calories blended actually changes how you process those calories in your body. The same logic could be applied to smoothies don't you think? They are blended and so they would do the same thing in your stomach; just don't drink large amounts of water either before or after your smoothie. 


Ingredients: 

  • Prune juice 1/4 cup 
  • Activia Yogurt few spoonfuls (adjust to taste)
  • Spoon full of protein powder ( I use vanilla)
  • Frozen fruit of your choice ( I love mango, blueberries, and raspberries) 
  • Spoonful of Chia seeds
  • Spoonful of wheat germ
Directions: 


Combine all ingredients and if you are using the magic bullet I like to give it a little shake first just so all the fruit isn't at the bottom. 
Blend until smooth. Pour into your favorite martini glass and top with fresh blueberries, raspberries or strawberries. If making for a guest or kids, you could always throw in an umbrella just for fun. 


If you have a bullet you can take your smoothie to go (wow they should pay me for all this promo). I take mine to dance classes when I know I need to eat something, but I want something light in between classes. 


Storage Tips:
Store your chia seeds in a sealed jar. 
Store your wheat germ in the refrigerator (I use a frozen yogurt container)

No comments:

Post a Comment