Lemon Dill Fish Cakes with Roasted Sweet and Spicy Sweet Potatoes & Balsamic Vinegar Brussel Sprouts


May 28, 2011

A woman I work with mentioned this fish cake recipe to me, that she got from her boyfriend, and it sounded too good to be true, so naturally I went home and bought all the ingredients to make them. I often make these roasted sweet potatoes they are spicy and crispy so delicious and fool proof to make. I don't know where I got the recipe it's scribbled on a random piece of paper as a lot of my recipes are. I am perpetually writing down recipes where ever I see them; at the dentist office, while baby sitting; honestly I'm shameless. I've even taken to snapping photos of recipes in the Metro News. 




You're going to want to cook the sweet potatoes first because they take longer. You can also add roasted brussle sprouts to the mix too if you like a side veggie. 


Lemon Dill Fish Cakes
Ingredients: 
  • 1 can of Salmon (take out the bones)
  • Fresh Dill 
  • 1 egg 
  • Old Fashioned rolled oats 
  • A squeeze of lemon
  • Lemon Zest 
  • Salt and Pepper 
Mix all ingredients together 
Don't be afraid to get your hands all up in there to mix all the ingredients together (just be sure to wash them first for sanitary purposes) 


Form into patties makes about four good sized portions. 
Cook in a skillet on medium to high heat in oil turning once until outside is crunchy

Sweet and Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients 
  • sweet potato (cubed)
  • paprika 
  • cayenne pepper 
  • olive oil 
  • onion salt 
  • garlic powder 
  • brown sugar 
  • black pepper 
  • Chili powder 


Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

Place the sweet potato chunks into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, then 
sprinkle the brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, chili powder, and cayenne pepper overtop. Toss until the potatoes are evenly coated with the seasoning. Spread onto a baking sheet.

Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then turn the potatoes over with a spatula, and continue baking until the sweet potatoes are golden and tender, 10 to 15 minutes more.

Roasted Balsamic Vinegar Brussel Sprouts 
Ingredients: 

  • 2-3 cups of brussel sprouts (frozen work fine)
  • 2 tbs olive oil 
  • 2 tbs Balsamic Vinegar 
  • Salt and pepper 

Simply mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar with salt and pepper. 
Coat brussel sprouts 
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until they are lightly browned 


I typically fire both the sweet potato and the brussel sprouts in the oven together and they cook at the same time. 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/28/2011

    This looks yummy! What I am most interested in here is the sprouts though - I think this might be the only way you'd get me to eat them! Balsamic vinegar sprouts? Sounds like a culinary experiment I need to get moving on!

    www.styleonthecouch.wordpress.com
    www.twitter.com/styleonthecouch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but they are actually quite tastey this way.

    Also the sprouts help to improve memory :) another bonus.

    ReplyDelete